What are Frontpage Server Extensions?
FrontPage Extensions are CGI programs which provide the server side implementation of FrontPage. FrontPage communicates with the extensions via HTTP using a Remote Procedure Call (RPC). When the server sees the "POST" request addressed to the FrontPage server extensions it simply directs the request to the appropriate CGI program. The extensions implement authoring (uploading/downloading documents, ToDo Lists), administration (setting end-user, author, and administrator privileges), and dynamic content (browse-time WebBot components).
Without the FrontPage Server Extensions you will not be able to take advantage of the webbots that are available through FrontPage. Also, without the extensions you cannot author and administer your web using the tools provided as part of the FrontPage Editor/Explorer package.
What is a WebBot?
WebBots are the mechanism for invoking many of the interactive features built into FrontPage. These features are added to your web through the FrontPage Editor | Insert FrontPage Component
Some, such as Include and Substitution allow elements of the web to be entered once and included in any or all of the pages by inserting the Bot component referencing that element (e.g. a logo or navigation bar). Changes made to the "master" element are made automatically to any page containing the referencing Bot. Other Bots, such as Search, Table of Contents and Timestamp, control dynamic browse-time features. These Bots work behind the scenes to keep the web up-to-date for visitors.
For more information on using the Bots, see the documentation provided with FrontPage or contact Microsoft Technical Support.
Are there any limitations when publishing with FrontPage?
There are some issues which potential FrontPage users should consider:
- Web size -- This seems to be most critical when a "searchable event" is present in the web (Search, Discussion Forum and Table of Contents). The lengthy process of updating the indices for these functions can lead to the connection timing-out (HTTP 500 Error or "Server "" has timed- out").
- Disk Usage -- You may create and publish as many child webs as your disk storage space allows. However, for each child web you publish, FrontPage duplicates certain information into indices and hidden files. This adds "overhead", increasing the storage space required for your files. Microsoft's documentation notes, "FrontPage 97's optional full-text search indexes can take up to the same amount of disk space as your textual content."
There are several precautions which need to be taken to protect the FrontPage extensions on your site if it is housed on the UNIX servers:
a) Do NOT use the Edit Access or File Manager features found in your Hiway Control Panel to set passwords, limit access, set file permissions or delete directories or files in a FrontPage web. This should only be done through the options in FrontPage Explorer.
b) Do NOT use regular FTP (such as WS_FTP) to upload files to the server when FrontPage extensions are installed. This may corrupt the extensions, disabling the interactive features available with FrontPage.
NOTE: The exception to this is when loading custom scripts to the cgi-local directory on your site. Instructions for uploading custom CGI scripts is included in the notice you will receive when the extensions are installed.
How Do I insert a hit counter?
To insert a FrontPage hit counter you must:
- In the FrontPage Editor, place the insertion point where you want to create the Hit Counter.
- On the Insert menu, point to Active Elements and then click Hit Counter.
- In the Hit Counter Properties dialog box, in the Counter Style field, select a counter style. The counter style is a series of GIF images containing the digits zero through nine
- To reset the hit counter click Reset Counter To and enter the number to reset the counter to.
- To supply a GIF image containing a customized set of the digits zero through nine, enter the relative URL of the image in the Custom Image field. Be sure to space these digits evenly in the custom image.
- Click OK